Saturday, May 07, 2005

Podcasts, again

I'm still wandering around in Podcast land (well, literally in Podcast Alley) looking for podcasts that I like enough to subscribe to for regular downloads. I figured out that my problem with most of them is just that they're stupid-funny, not smart-funny, and I'm just spoiled. I listen to "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" on NPR every weekend, and I laugh constantly. Yeah, I get it, the difference between amateur and professional, but I think these podcasters consider themselves professional even if their offerings are free. Some are comics, writers, performers. But the simple fact that two relatively funny people sit around every day with a computer microphone doesn't automatically mean they can produce an hour worth listening to. The one show I do like okay is only done once a week, which I think is what makes the difference. They seem to have used their time to prepare. Rehearse, script, whatever - they seem to have it together and it shows.

I also wonder if having the freedom to swear gets in the way of being funny. You don't have to think too much about what to say if you are allowed to say absolutely anything that's in your brain. And maybe the problem is that I don't think that swearing or poop jokes are funny in and of themselves, so I'm missing half of the intended humor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

ring logo
Writing Desk Webring

Join | List | Random
Previous | Next
Powered by RingSurf
Locations of visitors to this page