Monday, June 06, 2005

Crash...into Me

One of my favorite Dave Matthews songs is "Crush," which I will sometimes get confused with his album "Crash," which contains the song "Crash into Me" (because there isn't a song called "Crash.")

I had to share that. Really.

But I finally saw the movie "Crash" this weekend, and feel like I'm late to the party even talking about it. But it's one of those movies you want to talk about. After, I listened to the writer/director Paul Haggis on Elvis Mitchells' "The Treatment" (go podcasts! I was able to download it when it aired but save it to listen to until after I saw the film.) He said he likes leaving stuff out of movies, that wrapping everything up in a tight bow is unsatisfying for himself,and ultimately, for the audience. When the studio told him he needed to create a scene in "Million Dollar Baby" to explain what had happened between Clint Eastwood's character and his daughter, he said, "No, I don't." He also mentioned how much he loved that he saw "Mullholland Drive" in a group of 6 friends, because after the film they went out to eat and discuss the movie and it took 6 of them to figure out what had happened!

So that's how I feel now - where are my five friends to discuss this with! (I saw it on a sunny Saturday afternoon a month after it opened, and there were actually only 5 of us in the theater, but we didn't bond. One guy hit me in the head when he was coming in late, though.) It is a very thought-provoking film, or actually a very dialog-provoking film, and I haven't had the chance to talk about it with anyone!

It's intense, with emotion, thought, and violence - though not long scary blood-filled screens of pummeling or anything like that - realistic violence (car accidents) and suspenseful violence - but that kind bothers me more. I was also, early on, not sure if I could sit through the whole thing, so intense was some of the things that were happening re: racial tensions and racist behaviors. Most disturbing was how much of this came from characters who were not evil villians, but multi-faceted people. The movie places them in situations where they have to act, and often they act in a way not consistent with how you viewed them when they first appeared.

It's definitely worth seeing. The acting is superb - Don Cheadle is wonderful, as is, surprisingly, Sandra Bullock in a serious (and somewhat unsympathetic) role. And Terrence Howard - who looks so damn familiar, but hasn't been in anything I would know, based on his imdb profile.) Go see it, if you haven't!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

ring logo
Writing Desk Webring

Join | List | Random
Previous | Next
Powered by RingSurf
Locations of visitors to this page