Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Duck!

I resigned today! It was hard - even though it's what I really wanted, I think it's always difficult to "break up" with someone, even a boss. She asked me if there was anything she could offer me to make me change my mind, and I had a deja vu from when a priest at a charity dinner asked me what it would take to get me back to the Catholic Church. In that case, it would be "women priests, married priests, gay priests, pro-choice, pro-birth control." (I didn't say any of that, of course. I just smiled and finished eating my salad. We were both there showing our support for a girls' educational program in the south Bronx - not really the appropriate place for heated debate.)

When my boss posed a similar question today, my answers would have been just as implausible - so I kept my mouth shut again, told her I appreciated the offer, but had made my decision.

I've told a handful of people, need to tell more tomorrow. It's a weird position to be in, the lame-duck that not everyone yet knows is lame.

3 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

I left my job a couple of months ago so I know about that awkward period before the word has spread to your coworkers.

I felt like I'd be gloating if I yelled it from the mountaintop so I kept a low profile. To this day, I think a few people still don't know I'm gone!

10:49 PM  
Blogger jane said...

well, just be glad you're not a hypothetical lame duck of the most powerful country in the world that everybody DOES know is lame!

best of wishes on your new job. :)

11:19 PM  
Blogger medusa said...

Jane - thanks! ngregory00 - I know what you mean. When I left my last job (laid off), they didn't turn my phone off for a year since the position was eliminated & no one took my place. I changed the voicemail greeting to say I didn't work there any more, but people would still leave me messages! I checked it once or week or so, just out of curiousity and was shocked every time I got a msg.

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

ring logo
Writing Desk Webring

Join | List | Random
Previous | Next
Powered by RingSurf
Locations of visitors to this page