Saturday, September 03, 2005

I hate Amazon.

I boycotted Amazon for months, because I was annoyed at their packaging. I'd ordered a CD - just one - and it came in a box big enough to fit a pair of shoes. The box was too big to fit into the mail slot in my building, and it resulted in a comedy of errors at the post office that nearly did me in.

Anyway, I broke down last week and placed an order. It's just too convenient, you know? I still buy books at my cool local bookstore, but for DVDs and other stuff (including a camera battery much cheaper than elsewhere) Amazon is okay.


Yes, well here is the result. I don't think an explanation is necessary, but indulge me for a bit. See the two DVD boxes and the tiny little battery package? See how small a pile they make? Now imagine them wrapped in some protective bubble wrap - even the thick air-filled plastic pillow wrap Amazon uses. Do you think even then they'd fit in something the size of say, a shoe box? Yeah, me, too.

Not the folks in Amazon shipping. This is the size box they chose. Do these people get kickbacks from the cardboard industry? I came into my apartment and saw the box and walked past it, thinking this can't be for me, this is clearly a delivery from Amazon for someone who bought a dozen hardcover books and a stack of CDs. This can't be my little order.

The boycott is back on.

4 Comments:

Blogger medusa said...

I posted this and within 10 minutes got 3 spam comments. Guess what - I refuse to buy anything someone tries to sell me over the phone (even if it's something I normally would want) and I refuse to visit any site that bombards blogs with automated fake comments.

Sorry for everyone else, but I'm turning the word-id thingy on.

4:04 PM  
Blogger brandi said...

You know, I worked in the shipping department of a company that was not Amazon and we had about 25 different sized boxes to send our stuff out in. And we used the closest approximately sized box for each package to be shipped. We used biodegradable rice-made peanuts to fill the timy bit of extra space left in the boxes and nothing moved around. It really wasn't brain surgery.

I also received 2 DVDs and a pack of batteries in an Amazon delivery this week and it came in a box made for a pair of knee-high boots with about 5 strips of those stupid air pillows. When you picked up the box, you could hear things knocking around.

Idiots.

4:10 PM  
Blogger jane said...

OMG i can see you walking by the box scratching your head, 'is something living inside there?'
you crack me up!
i just ordered 2 books for my aunt & will have to ask her how big the box is! have you tried barnes & noble?
the photo is priceless!

2:01 AM  
Blogger medusa said...

I haven't tried Barnes & Noble online, but I should. They deliver to Manhattan addresses the same day you order - and I'll soon be back working in Manhattan!

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

ring logo
Writing Desk Webring

Join | List | Random
Previous | Next
Powered by RingSurf
Locations of visitors to this page