Friday, September 16, 2005

Words

This got to me. From past week's This American Life.
I have a feeling in the pit of my stomach that if I start crying the sobs will kill me.

I guess someday it will calm down and I'll be able to just cry like a normal person, but I feel like if I start crying now it will never stop.


If you can listen to her and not cry yourself, you're a stronger person than I am. Click on the link to listen to the archive with this, and other hurricane survivors' stories.

2 Comments:

Blogger jane said...

I didn't even try to listen to it. I can't bear to see the little missing kids' photos on tv, but i watch them as long as i can & am not sure why.
I'm most sickened by how so many Americans are questioning the victims as though they've done something horribly wrong. All they did was survive a hurricane.
know what i mean?

1:44 AM  
Blogger medusa said...

That's why I prefer to listen to radio, to shows like "This American Life" who give people the chance to really tell their stories. For 15 or 20 minutes, not in the 90 second soundbites you get on most tv news shows. I feel like tv is manipulating me to feel a certain way (look at the sad little boy!) while radio gives me a chance to really listen.

If more people (not you, the others you are sickened by) just stopped to listen to the real people who show both amazing courage and devestating fear - I can't imagine they wouldn't begin to understand just a little bit more.

8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

ring logo
Writing Desk Webring

Join | List | Random
Previous | Next
Powered by RingSurf
Locations of visitors to this page