Saturday, October 29, 2005

A blind man sat in front of me.

A blind man sat in front of me at the movies today. With his seeing eye dog lying in the aisle beside him, and a sighted friend on the other side. I contemplated changing seats - if anyone is going to be talking during a film, it's going to be the blind guy's friend, and I don't think shushing them would be the right thing to do. But they were very quiet. The friend would helpfully read text off the screen (i.e., "January 15, 1956") but that didn't happen often.

But I found myself watching the film and noticing how much the visual played into the experience. "He's standing in front of the farmhouse now," I wanted to tell the blind man. "The trees beside it are silhouetted against the white sky. It's very still and beautiful and frightening." But the man in front of me just heard the background music and the dialogue. I wonder if he wondered where the characters were.

(10 points for anyone who can name the film I saw today.)

2 Comments:

Blogger jane said...

well, i can't guess. but it sounds scary for some reason, lol.
I've always wondered what a blind person sees in their minds eyes, like when watching that movie. maybe his scene was better than what was on the screen.
i've made wrong assumptions like that a lot & then am gladly amazed at the reality.

6:57 PM  
Blogger Velu said...

Yep. I guess that's why most of the movies they make from books,are dissappointing.

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

ring logo
Writing Desk Webring

Join | List | Random
Previous | Next
Powered by RingSurf
Locations of visitors to this page