Thursday, November 10, 2005

Lights


Yesterday as I left work I went into a conference room to look out the window to see if it was raining. It's fully dark now by 5, so at 5:30 I was just hoping to see raindrops on the window or headlights reflecting on a rain-soaked Westside Highway. Instead I saw a steady stream of police cars with heading south, all with lights flashing.

It freaked me out a bit, I admit. Maybe it was the backdrop of the WTC site, but I just felt the need to get outside and away. On my walk to the subway I saw more police cars, began to conjecture a bit, then realized with a "duh!" that I was approaching a police precinct. That doesn't explain the 10 cars with flashing lights, though.

I passed a hotel and there was a police car out front and three cops by the door. This morning I wake up and hear that there were bombings in several Jordan hotels and that the NYPD is putting on extra security at city hotels, and now I understand. The news also mentioned that the NYPD's bomb special unit is located down here.

This morning there were 5 cops in front of the nearby hotel, and later this afternoon I have a meeting there.

2 Comments:

Blogger Trey Desolay said...

Actually, the NYPD drills down the West Side Highway have been going on since the London Bombings. Immediately after that event, there were daily drills. The frequency of the drills have abated quite a bit in the past several weeks, but I will be so very unsurprised to see them pick up again in the wake of the bombings in Jordan.

2:16 PM  
Blogger medusa said...

thanks for the insight - I am so much more aware of all of this now that I work down here.

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

ring logo
Writing Desk Webring

Join | List | Random
Previous | Next
Powered by RingSurf
Locations of visitors to this page