Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Do the Math.

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate the NY Post? Yesterday's paper has a big glaring headline about the "10.5%" increase the transit workers union rejected. Because, you see, if they get 3%, 4%, 3.5% increases over 3 years, that must add up to 10.5%, right? I know their editors barely write at the fifth grade level, but did they just completely skip math class?

(For those not following, you can't just add the percentages together, since they will apply to the new increased salary each year, not the starting salary. For example, if you started out at $100K in year one, your first increase would bring you to $103K, then the 4% the following year would be 4% of $103K, not $100K, so you'd get slightly more... if you do the math it turns out to be closer to 11%.

It's similar to how people used to get confused when I worked in retail. If something is 30% off and then there is an additional 20%, that's not 50% off, no matter how long you stand at the register and scream at me.)

It's not like I expect the Post to be smart enough to get that, it's just that I get depressed when they flaunt their stupidity so brazenly. And that there are those people who think that if it's in the paper, it must be true.

I think it's all part of Rupert Murdoch's plan to dumb down America.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

ring logo
Writing Desk Webring

Join | List | Random
Previous | Next
Powered by RingSurf
Locations of visitors to this page