Saturday, December 10, 2005

Really Bad Night

I think I just fucked up my entire computer. Wait, let me rephrase that. I'm a bit dizzy from the battle of pointing fingers. I think HP and Microsoft just fucked up my entire system.

I was working on my PC when my computer just shut down. And then it started up again, but at the start up window, just restarted again. Over and over. Like it was having seizures. So I thought maybe it's overheated or something, I'm going to bed.

Three hours later, 2 am, I wake up. And of course have to check it out again. Luckily I have this notebook, so I'm not completely computer free, because where else do you go for help but the internet?

Anyway, my desktop computer did not come with a Windows XP startup CD - which HP tells me, so even though I went through all of my computer documentation (this involved moving the mattress platform from my bed and pulling out a box - did I mention it was 2 am?) there wasn't one to find. Even though all of the instructions they give you for resolving this involve booting up from the Windows XP CD. They send you to Microsoft's site, who tells you that if your computer came loaded with Windows XP, you have to go to the manufacturer's site.

Gee, wasn't I just there?

I tried downloading and creating the CD anyway, but my computer is not recognizing it - my CD Rom drive doesn't work right, but of course I can't troubleshoot it or figure out what is wrong because the damned computer won't go on.

It's 3:53 am. The only troubleshooting option that has responded is HP System Recovery, which I am now running, which I believe is wiping out all of my files.

It's not as tragic as it sounds, as I did a "My Documents" backup fairly recently, and know that all of my writing is safe. But I couldn't fit all of my photos, and had just started cleaning out the folders (i.e., deleting the pictures from each 'roll' that I didn't want to keep anymore) in preparation for a separate photo backup.

Would it surprise you to learn I hadn't done it yet?

I don't know what's going on now. I keep getting messages that there is a "Problen" in extracting some files, and I am forced to click OK to proceed. I have done that, no joke, about 1000 times in the last 10 minutes. I'm just sitting here with my finger on the enter key, stopping periodically to switch to the laptop to type this. This can't be a good sign - nor, I think, can the fact that the brilliant minds who devised this method of recovery can't spell "Problem."

I might just cry.

1 Comments:

Blogger Angela's Designs said...

I had some strange events happen a few months back. Finally deciding it's time for a new computer because there were left over issues that have never worked out after reinstalling Windows. I'm bugged too.

7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

ring logo
Writing Desk Webring

Join | List | Random
Previous | Next
Powered by RingSurf
Locations of visitors to this page