Saturday, June 17, 2006

Unplugged

Confession: Sometimes I think I'm just not plugged into the matrix, and by that I mean... well what do I mean? I don't really know (see #1) but I'm using it the way I think Dan Klass uses it, which is to say playing the game, or speaking the same language as the rest of them. In the mass cultural groove.

Some examples of why I am not...

#1 - I never saw "The Matrix." Not the original, not the sequels. Despite my obsession with film, there are many popular movies I've never seen, and if I mention any of these in front of people, the express shock and surprise. Movies like "Pretty Woman," "Dirty Dancing," "The Princess Bride," "Ghost," "My Own Private Idaho," and "Forrest Gump." The last is by choice, the others I can't explain. For the most part they came out when I wasn't actively going to movies, and while I could rent them now, they've been built up so much to me that I think I'll be disappointed. It happened with "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" - I bought the DVD and have tried to watch it three times but just get restless and bored and turn it off.

#2 - I'm not entirely positive I understand what an SUV is. I mean, I can identify certain vehicles as SUVs - the jeep/truck ones - but then I see others that I can't figure out. Are they mini vans? Modified station wagons? Are they also SUVs? They're certainly big enough. I know this is because I don't have a car or drive so I'm oblivious to what's out there, but I can't tell you right now what cars my brothers own, and they are the vehicles I've ridden in most often in the last five years. I'm not even sure what color they are.

#3 - I don't think Brad Pitt is all that attractive. I know, I know, there's something wrong with me. Part of it is his blondness (I'm attracted to dark-haired men as a rule) and part of it is because he still looks twenty two to me. I am regularly startled to realize he's actually fairly tall, since he looks so young and boyish to me. No, I don't really like young and boyish, not now that I am no longer what you'd call girlish. I may be the only one who hopes that the Chosen One turns out to look more like her Ma than her Pa.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pynchon said...

Re. #1. Me too. (No, I have seen "The Matrix" and sequels. Bored me to tears, frankly.) There are many popular films that I have not seen. Reasons? None at all. Wrong timing, was busy, couldn't be bothered, so on and so forth.

I see a lot of films, so missing a few popular ones does not worry me.

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

ring logo
Writing Desk Webring

Join | List | Random
Previous | Next
Powered by RingSurf
Locations of visitors to this page