Thursday, August 10, 2006

Toothpaste Terror

I am in Boston without my toothpaste, shampoo, moisturizer, lipstick, hair gel, and body wash. I was pulled out of the line at the gate at LaGuardia, my bags searched, and liquids/gels confiscated. They missed my eye drops and one lipstick which was in a different pocket.

Like last week's blackout paranoia, I am hearing wild rumors about what they are doing at airports: forbidding carry-ons of any kind, making you throw away your luggage and dump your belongings into clear plastic bags, or refusing to allow laptops on board. None of this happened to me in NYC or seemed to be happening in Boston when I landed, based on the announcements that were being broadcast repeatedly about the liquid/gel ban. But I bet someone out there has an uncle who works for United Airlines and emailed his nephew that he's never seen it this bad and that he should avoid flying today at all costs - but if he does, he'll have to strip to his underwear in order to board the plane.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pynchon said...

In the UK there is no hand luggage whatsover being allowed on planes, except for travel documents. Total chaos. It has been on the news all day.

They are telling us that the plan was for terrorists to blow up at least 9 planes over the Atlantic Ocean.

5:29 PM  
Blogger medusa said...

Ah, you are right, I saw on CNN today that all the stuff people were convinced was happening here, that I knew wasn't, IS happening in the UK.

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

ring logo
Writing Desk Webring

Join | List | Random
Previous | Next
Powered by RingSurf
Locations of visitors to this page