Saturday, September 09, 2006

Thinking about other years

They sent around a warning yesterday that there will be huge crowds around Ground Zero on Monday, and that while our office will remain open, employees are encouraged to work from home. I can't, due to projects I am immersed in, but I decided I will try to avoid it by getting off the subway early and walking up along Battery Park and the Hudson River, entering our complex that way instead of from the side facing Ground Zero.

It's the first one I've worked. The past two years it was on a weekend, and in 2003 I was unemployed. My grandmother took me out to Tavern on the Green that year for my birthday, and they brought me a piece of cake with a Happy Birthday balloon. She didn't understand why I didn't want to take it home on the subway with me, all the way to Brooklyn. But she didn't remember it was the 2nd anniversary, and I didn't tell her.

In 2002 I took the day off, not wanting to go into Manhattan at all, not wanting to have to feel the tensing of the city on that morning. I originally thought I'd try to do some kind of volunteer work that day, but I wound up just staying home and keeping myself busy and my mind occupied.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

ring logo
Writing Desk Webring

Join | List | Random
Previous | Next
Powered by RingSurf
Locations of visitors to this page