Tuesday, October 31, 2006

How do you spell "bee-atch?"

I have my first story posted in my new online writing class. It's a piece I've been working on for a couple of years, and it's not quite right, but I can't let go of it. It's based on an incident that happened in my family, something that I've never been able to make sense of, and so the story is likely an attempt to do so. Unfortunately, though, I can't allow myself to forgive the person involved by allowing her to have much justification or redemption. And yet, that's how it has always been - she did this terrible thing, it shaped all of our lives, and somehow we managed to get back together without every really confronting or dealing with it. We made our own lives move forward, and that's what I'm trying to get across in the story - sometimes you don't get reasons or answers, you just get to figure out how to adapt to what you can't understand.

So, I have only one comment so far, and it's from the person who so far strikes me as the poorest writer in the class, and he says he loves it, except he hates that character. He calls her a "bee-atch" and wants to hit her. Apparently I've succeeded at making her completely one dimensional (at least in his eyes, but this is the guy who bragged that he hates reading), which wasn't what I wanted. Not redeemed, yes, but a full-fledged character at least. I guess I should wait and see what the others say, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

ring logo
Writing Desk Webring

Join | List | Random
Previous | Next
Powered by RingSurf
Locations of visitors to this page