Friday, April 13, 2007

Money matters

I remember, I remember! And now it will naturally be anticlimactic...

Yesterday I closed one of my bank accounts, as I'm consolidating finances in preparation for possibly buying an apartment. This particular account is in a credit union upstate, so somewhat "out of sight, out of mind," and has been traditionally the place I sock away odd bits of income for long term savings. When I hung up the phone from them I had a weird pang of sadness. It's the first bank account I had, opened for me as a teenager by my father. He would deposit a weekly allowance ($1) and later, when I was in college, my child support (a pitifully low figure, the only contribution he made to my education, and far less than anything any of my fellow students received from their parents.) Since I don't use the account very often, I still have checks that have my old address (I moved in 1994) and have the old "19__" date field.

It's the end of an era.

***

Yesterday I also had a major deflation moment, when a friend told me to expect closing costs of $10-15K. I hadn't counted on anything that major, and trying to factor that into the equation with the required % down, the assorted moving costs, and the required reserves was overwhelming. Maybe I can't do this now after all. But I just got off the phone with a mortgage broker and a coop is more in the $3000 range, which is a huge source of relief. I won't have legal fees, as I'm in a group legal plan through my employer, and I'm hoping to not have broker's fees, as the place I am considering is a direct sale. Still not positive it will happen, but at least I have a better handle on what I have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

ring logo
Writing Desk Webring

Join | List | Random
Previous | Next
Powered by RingSurf
Locations of visitors to this page