Saturday, September 01, 2007

The Nines

I'm not sure what to make of this film. At one point, near the middle, I was ecstatic and enthralled. At the end I felt something fall apart, in a similar way (although not as badly) as "Vanilla Sky," because the "explanation" playing out on screen was contrary to what I wanted to be true. Fortunately, in the case of this film, I don't know that what they told us was the truth...

Should I back up, or is it okay to be confusing about a movie that's essentially confusing?

"The Nines" is three interwoven, parallel stories, each featuring different characters played by the same actors (Ryan Reynolds and Hope Davis, among others.) The story plays with the idea of reality and fantasy, of art and its creation. On top of that, it's interesting and enough of a puzzle that you can wonder about it after but not feel entirely diminished by the weight of your inability to understand.

It's rare that I walk out of a movie without really getting it. ("Mulholland Drive" and "Primer" are two I can think of right now.) I possibly might consider seeing it again.

I think it's worth it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pat R said...

The overlapping storyline of the Nines resolves itself nicely at the end... and, although Reynolds is a versatile actor, it was Melissa McCarthy who did a particularly great job of adding color to the whole thing.

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

ring logo
Writing Desk Webring

Join | List | Random
Previous | Next
Powered by RingSurf
Locations of visitors to this page