Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Shred this

Yesterday I bought a paper shredder. I'm cleaning out files and boxes of old letters and the recycling bin doesn't seem like an appropriate place to send old stories and friends' words to die.

I like feeding the shredder. The buzz, the neat strips, the finality. Zip, there goes a letter my mother sent me when I was in college. Zap, there goes a postcard from that friend from Albany who disappeared and I don't know where he is. (Break for Google. Back, no luck.) Zip, the third rewrite of the seventh chapter of the novel I never finished. (I have it electronically if I ever am inspired to continue with it.) Zap, there goes a weirdly-worded letter I got a year after college, from the professor with whom I'd had a fling. (A letter I read and reread and reread, never able to really decipher its "hidden" meaning. It was just a letter, I now see.) Zip, the first draft version of that short story that I wrote ten years ago that never moved past "sucking."

I have two bags of shredded paper now. I can't wait until recycling day.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Sounds like you had a lot of stuff to shred, hehe. How is your new apartment doing by the way?

Hope you are well. If you ever pick up writing again I'd love to read some.

Remember to smile too, that's always good.

1:57 AM  
Blogger medusa said...

I still write, just getting rid of the older stuff.

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

ring logo
Writing Desk Webring

Join | List | Random
Previous | Next
Powered by RingSurf
Locations of visitors to this page