Thursday, October 25, 2007

On, insomnia

I have been awake since 3 am. Footsteps, someone coming home late and loudly. By the creaking of my ceiling it sounded like the woman upstairs, but it's the guy next door who works the weird shifts and usually clomps through his apartment when he comes home. Or maybe he came in with his usual heavy boot stride and she woke up and was suffering like me. (When I went into the bathroom at 4:30 I could hear the rush of water in the wall behind me as she flushed her toilet.) Maybe the two of them came home together; maybe there is something going on between them.

Either way, this sucks for me.

Part of the trouble is it's one of the few times of the year when I don't have my fan on, which creates a white noise that semi-protects me. In the summer, it's because it's hot, and in the winter, it's because the radiator makes it just as hot.

Will it be different if I move, or am I just too light a sleeper? Yesterday, for example, I was actually woken by the sound of my upstairs neighbor's alarm clock going off, which I was grateful for, as I'd neglected to set mine and had a flight to catch.

I still want to move. I have a lead on another coop that I'm going to follow up.

* * *

Airport note: yesterday on the way home, I was going through the airport security check and one of the guys picked up my bag from the conveyor belt and asked, "Is this yours?"

"Yes," I said.

"Well, they're calling the troopers as we speak. You're in big trouble."

My heart skipped, but then I saw a hint of a smile on his face.

"Big trouble," he said, and pulled from my bag the mini bottle of water I'd forgotten I had with me, the same bottle of water I'd been given on the plane on the first leg of my journey.

I apologized, and said I'd meant to throw it out when I got out of the cab. He handed me my bag and I walked away, thinking, don't passengers get arrested for joking around with security people? I guess it's okay if they initiate it.

* * *

I could just go to the gym an hour early.

* * *

Cable problems again. I don't know how to handle it. When I call to complain, and run through the whole long tale of everything that has happened so far, the only solution they can offer is to send YET ANOTHER TECHNICIAN over to deal with it. And they "fix" it but it never sticks.

I seriously need to move.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

ring logo
Writing Desk Webring

Join | List | Random
Previous | Next
Powered by RingSurf
Locations of visitors to this page