Wednesday, December 12, 2007

It's got to be the morning after

Last night I had a client event, arrived home tired and cranky at about 9:30, undressed and lay down on the bed and turned on the TV. Mistake. If I choose the sofa, I will eventually get up, pass the bathroom, and brush my teeth. I just zonked out. Falling asleep without brushing your teeth might sound gross, but it is worse for me, as something happens (bacteria? it's all too sickening to think about too much) and causes my acid reflux to flare up, and I wake up a few hours later in intense discomfort. My throat feels like it is closing up, I can't swallow, and I start to choke if I don't prop my head up in a position that doesn't help trying to fall asleep again.

I can get up and brush my teeth, and even take a Zantac, but neither is able to stop what's already in motion quickly enough to let me really sleep. And so the entire night is cat naps, tossing and turning, fitful sleep.

(It doesn't help that my dinner at the event consisted of cheese, cheese, and more cheese; a handful of grapes, and a few hors d'oeuvres (smoked salmon something, goat cheese pastry, shrimp in chili sauce, mini blini with caviar.) Oh, yeah, I'm sure that didn't help. At least I drank nothing but diet soda.)

(Yes, I can use embedded parentheses. In fact, I'm in a very parenthetical mood this morning.)

I have been planning events for a decade and a half and still can't spell hors d'oeuvres confidently. It doesn't help that spell check never recognizes it, even when I'm right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

ring logo
Writing Desk Webring

Join | List | Random
Previous | Next
Powered by RingSurf
Locations of visitors to this page