Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Memo

Had a bad morning at work yesterday. One of the executives in my department insulted me in an email, in a really unprofessional way. It sounds petty, but it hit me in the gut, because people don't behave that way generally. Others were cc'd on the email, and I knew I wasn't overreacting by the way they came to me hoping I was okay. (One even begging me not to quit.) It was okay; of course I immediately went to the internal job postings (almost none of which would remove me from this person's team) but the best medicine was talking to someone else who deals with this person every day.

It's startling how, in a company that is really supportive of its people (not just talking about being supportive, but demonstrating it daily), that one bad apple can drop in so insidiously. I guess part of the reason he stands out so strongly is that it's rare to have someone there who's such a dick. I wish I could believe that his behavior will mean something to people who make decisions about keeping someone like him. I suppose I should go to HR and complain in order to add to the pile of "incidents" in his file, but I don't want to make it into a bigger deal than it is. And I don't want him to take it out on me if he finds out. This, of course, is exactly how they tell you not to think, especially in all of those employment harassment training classes we attend.

Deep breath. Today is another day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pynchon said...

Ah... But we can all play the game of copying everybody and his dog into an email, can't we? Maybe you should play that game, but then again it would put you down to their level.

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

ring logo
Writing Desk Webring

Join | List | Random
Previous | Next
Powered by RingSurf
Locations of visitors to this page