Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Oscar ruminations

One of the nominations that puzzles me is Cate Blanchett in "Elizabeth: the Golden Age." Didn't that movie get almost unanimously panned? Wasn't it in and out of the theaters in the blink of an eye? Is it just that people think she should get the nomination, since she got one when she played the same role in the first Elizabeth film? I think she really deserves her nomination for "I'm Not There," though. Her scenes were the only I really enjoyed in the film (sorry, Heath, but I keep getting your scenes confused with the parody from "Walk Hard.")

I am very happy about Ellen Page's nomination, although I think her performance in "Hard Candy" was just riveting, and probably more deserving. But maybe her new fame will bring audiences to see that film now.

One good thing is that there are very few nominated films I haven't seen. I will have to rent "Away From Her," a movie I avoided only because of a current family situation that made it seem just too close for comfort.

(Ugh, the early morning news is on in the background and I am forced to see that Mel Gibson has positioned himself as the official spokesperson for the loss to Hollywood of the younger actor's death. What a way to take advantage of a tragedy for your own PR gain.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

ring logo
Writing Desk Webring

Join | List | Random
Previous | Next
Powered by RingSurf
Locations of visitors to this page