Friday, April 18, 2008

Punk'd?

So in the past few days I've gotten three calls from companies who claim I signed up on their website for more information on their services. One guy even laughed at me when I started yelling at him that I was on the "Do Not Call" list and he'd better not call me again, because he said he was sitting there looking at the form I had filled out. (He didn't seem to understand that just because it was filled out, doesn't mean that it was me.)

Today when one called I asked her for more info, explaining I hadn't signed up for a call about a home security system, but that I needed to find out more so I could try to press charges for identity theft. She read the mailing address (my old one) and an email address which was my full name at gmail.com. And of course, my current (and old) phone number.

I tried looking up the gmail address - according to google, it isn't a valid email address. So at least this person has not created an email account pretending to be me.

Instead, they've just taken time to visit random sites and fill out forms so I'll get annoying phone calls. Is this the 21st century version of ordering a dozen pizzas to be delivered to an unsuspecting someone's house? Have I been punk'd?

Who would do this to me? (And should I worry that there is more to follow, like real stuff, like accessing bank accounts and credit cards?)

2 Comments:

Blogger Jerry said...

Try asking the next person who rings if they have invited Jesus Christ into their life. They will soon get off the phone.

5:04 AM  
Blogger medusa said...

You know, I'd be more afraid they'd say, "Yes, I have!" and want to talk about it.

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

ring logo
Writing Desk Webring

Join | List | Random
Previous | Next
Powered by RingSurf
Locations of visitors to this page