Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Tuesday, in the Park

Over the weekend I saw both "Hancock" and "The Last Mistress." I think I did well in choosing two movies that are as different from one another as possible. I will have to talk about them more at another time.

Last night I went to Central Park to see the NY Philharmonic. Part of the fun, of course, is the pre-concert atmosphere on the Great Lawn: getting there early to spread your blankets, checking out the food and drink your neighbors brought, celebrating each time one of your party manages to navigate the landmarks (stop at the big Texas flag, turn left, facing the two red balloons and you'll see me waving) and the narrow strips of walk-able grass between blankets to join you. For me, it's part of that swell of joy of living in the city, of being one of 60,000 people who sat together to enjoy themselves and some music and fireworks on a beautiful summer night. The music was pleasant, enjoyable, (although lacked the "you'll be humming this as you leave" promise of the program), and the company fine.

Tonight I go to see Ricky Gervais at Madison Square Garden. Again, I've stumbled onto two very different experiences.

1 Comments:

Blogger madabandon said...

I love those too. When I lived in Chicago the Chicago Symphony played at Ravinia, a beautiful old estate north of the city. I never missed it.

6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

ring logo
Writing Desk Webring

Join | List | Random
Previous | Next
Powered by RingSurf
Locations of visitors to this page