Friday, August 08, 2008

Book 'em

I am finally (!) reading a book I don't want to put down, and even better, one that caught my attention from the very first pages. Not surprisingly, it is a mystery, which have a natural tendency to elevate the pacing and intricacy of plot, but there are many, many, mediocre mysteries out there and this, happily, isn't one of them. "In the Woods" by Tana French is well-written and smart, the story of a detective in Ireland investigating the murder of a 12 year old girl in the very same woods where he, decades earlier, was found bloodied and nearly comatose, without any memory of what had happened to him or where his two missing pre-teen friends had gone.

Of course I have to finish it in order to really know if it will continue to be as engrossing, but I have high hopes.

I also finally thinned out my "To Read" pile of books and set some of the least likely to grab my attention on the front stoop last weekend. I might do more this weekend. Most of the ones I don't know that I'll ever actually read are books I picked up on other neighborhood stoops, which makes me wonder how many homes some of these have wandered in and out of.

I remember finding a book once with a stamp inside for a website, where you could report where you found the book and trace its journey. You were then supposed to leave it in another public space. I need to find that site again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

ring logo
Writing Desk Webring

Join | List | Random
Previous | Next
Powered by RingSurf
Locations of visitors to this page