Tuesday, November 25, 2008

It's the economy, stupid

I'm definitely more scared about the economy than I pretend to be. It's clearly because I now have a mortgage and a job which can't be presumed to be secure - colleagues have been laid off in reason weeks, albeit for reasons that don't apply to me. But the reasons change, of course. The other, deeper reason is that I used to have faith that things could never get that bad, that there were checks and balances and controls, and now there is a real sense of free fall. Too many pundits on TV are jumping up to spout doom and gloom forecasts, in hopes that they are the ones who are right, but that doesn't mean they are wrong, because who was predicting my retirement savings would drop in half? And if someone were predicting that, wouldn't I have ignored him or her?

Ahhhh. I believe in having faith that I can survive whatever befalls me, and I will continue to do so. But I'd still not like to have to.

(This is me, early morning, under a gray morning sky. This is definitely not the me who wandered around in Whole Foods yesterday, idly plopping anything into her cart without caring about the price. Just because.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

ring logo
Writing Desk Webring

Join | List | Random
Previous | Next
Powered by RingSurf
Locations of visitors to this page